The MILO survey tool can be used to measure and assess proficiency of students and report on SDG 4 on Education Target 1 on learning.
To monitor learning, the Global Proficiency Framework, defining the Minimum Proficiency Levels (MPLs), was established by the Global Alliance to Monitor Learning (GAML) and approved by the Technical Cooperation Group on SDG 4 (TCG) in 2018.
What are the Global Proficiency Framework and the Minimum Proficiency Levels?
Assessment for Minimum Proficiency Levels (AMPL) - Discover the AMPL Brochure
- a standalone assessment for countries, region or system who wish to report against SDG Global Indicator 4.1.1; or
- an additional section integrated into existing national or regional assessments for countries, region or system wishing to measure and describe the broad range of abilities that children at the end of primary school may exhibit in reading and mathematics.
- For example, this can be done by administering the AMPL forms alongside existing assessments, as was done in the MILO project.
The development of the AMPL is a significant step forward and has the potential to align national and cross-national assessment programs to a single set of global standards in mathematics and reading as articulated in SDG 4.1.1 for end of primary education (b). The same methods of aligning assessment programs could be applied if further assessments are developed to measure learning outcomes at the end of lower secondary (c), or the end of lower primary education (a).
- Reading and Mathematics Assessment Blueprint
- This document provides a detailed assessment blueprint for the COVID-19 MILO assessment instruments. This assessment blueprint describes the learning areas and target population for the MILO project, the domain and constructs assessed, the item types included, the sources of items and a description of how they were selected, and the final MILO test booklet design.
- From the Main Report
- Minimum Proficiency Levels
- Global Proficiency Framework
Link to What is the MILO Project?
Link to the Global Item Bank